Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Courtesan Kasen

Here are some hokku by Kasen 哥川 (ca. 1716-1776). I'm sure I've read some of these wrong, but here they are anyway. Courtesans led tragic, frequently brutal lives. These verses, however, are very evocative and romantic.

upon awakening
I tuned my koto
to the sound of spring rain

目覚ましに琴調べけり春の雨

envious that
snow does not gather on its branches
the plum tree itself blossoms

うらやましつもらぬ雪の梅もさき


without tying back
her beautiful hair --
willow tree

美しいかみもゆはずに柳かな


morning glory --
I too, await someone,
taking a flower for my companion

夕顔やわれも人まつ花のとも


when tying back my hair
I gaze outside --
scattered poppy blossoms

かみゆふて見れば散りたりけしの花

airing out clothes --
a cherished letter
falls from her sleeve

虫干しや恋しきふみのたもとより

These are in Nakajima Michiko's 中島道子 Yûjo Kasen: Echizen Mikuni-minato no haijin 遊女哥川: 越前三国湊の俳人 (渓声出版 [1985]). It's a biographical novel. Sometimes it's so sad/horrific I find it hard to read; it's full of useful information, though.