Sunday, November 24, 2013

Taorigiku - Handpicked Chrysanthemums 1

By Tagami Kikusha. Published in Bunka 9nen (1812), it is a poetic travel journal. It's long and will take quite some time to get through. Let's see where it takes us. This is not authoritative, folks, it's a work in progress.


At the end of the first month, in which I had spent the new year season in the capital, when I looked back on on the long stretch of days I passed here here and counted them all up, it has truly been 33 years since I became entranced with the way of fûga. 

First I passed through the provinces of Sanetsu and Ôu, then I crossed over the barrier to the east, "of chattering birds," and the Ôsaka barrier "undeceived by the false rooster's crow." I stayed in Edo for three years, and became aware of the humorous genre of haikai, and there I learned all that I could of its teachings. Later, again my heart felt possessed by the desire to travel, and then many times I crossed the Mojigaseki and travelled to the Western Seas and to Tsukishi of the "countless fires." There I made friends of course with haikai poets but also became familiar with the literature of China, and at the place I stayed in Tama-no-ura I obtained even books by Chinese writers, and had so many in my rucksack and my satchel, that I kept them in my hometown Chôfû, and I now do not think the number of them is such that I can fit them all in. Having traveled round like this to many famous places, historical spots, ruins, and mountain passes spoken of by persons of high reputation, with regret I now leave this up to my ink-stained brush from my travel-case, thinking I might as well publish these scattered jottings, I mutter to myself, smiling. The year is 1812, in the season when the young plants are just starting to grow lush. Ichiji-an Kikusha-ni of Nakato.

Hand-picked Chrysanthemum 1

I lost my husband when I was still young, and because we had no child to inherit the household I adopted a relative's son and left to him the duties of maintaining the estate. Having now attained the status of the leisured, on the day it occurred to me, "I wish I could make a pilgrimage to temples and shrines at famous places all over the realm," I ended up undertaking a solo journey just as I'd imagined. 

月を笠に着て遊ばばや旅のそら

I wish I could wander
with the moon as my travel hat --
a traveler's sky

Written at Hitomaru Shrine in Nagato, Otsu. (Stele: 日本の文学碑)

make my travel hat
even more melancholy --
rain in cicada season

吾笠に淋しさしめや蝉しぐれ

my writing brush
will become stained even more deeply --
when the persimmon leaves are lush

染めてゆかむ筆柿の葉も茂り時

I passed by Shizuka-ga-ura and took a boat from a place called Kayoi, and without incident arrived at Hagi Castle. Here I benefited from the kindness of a monk from Seikôji temple, and became his disciple, and received his courteous teachings on the world to come. Afterwards I took the tonsure, and wrote:

the dust of the unreliable world
was blown away
in the wind

風に浮世の塵を払けり

My old friend by the name of Chikuô-sha Kion lives here. He has liked haikai from a long time ago. I felt that I wished to learn his style, and he kindly sent a letter on my behalf to the Mino haikai master called Sankyô. At Suô Tenmangû Shrine I wrote:

colorful autumn also --
are those two leaves on the branch?
a plum tree's red

染る秋も二葉の末か梅紅葉

I should learn from it --
the pure heart
of a pond's water

ならひ行ん澄めるこころ池の水