Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Taorigiku - Handpicked Chrysanthemums 2


In the middle of the Tenth Month I took a boat from Mitajiri and we rowed toward Naniwazu (Osaka). I wrote this in the shallows at Suma:

traveling along the sea routes --
at both Suma and Awaji,
plovers

舩路行ば須磨に淡路に千鳥哉

At the beginning of the Eleventh Month we arrived at Naniwazu. I intended to visit the famous places there, but so as not to be late to attend the Gratitude Ceremonies for my esteemed teacher I hurried on to Kyoto. At Honganji I spent seven nights and days attending the sutra readings, and wrote:

thinking of what I owe my teacher
the snow on my travel hat
feels like nothing at all

報恩をおもへばかろし雪の笠

I have just now
arrived but already 
it is the Gratitude Ceremony

今はただ参るばかりが報恩講

As soon as the sutra readings were over, I returned at once to Naniwazu, and on New Year's Eve I went to Kôzu Shrine and wrote:

above all
I visited the shrine at the summit --
first light

高き屋をまづ拝みけり初日影

[Nintoku's waka: 高き屋にのぼりて見れば 煙 ( けぶり ) 立つ民のかまどはにぎはひにけり(新古707)]

A man called Tani Kiyobei lives here. His manner is extremely gentle, and he was sympathetic to my situation as a traveler, and from the day that I first arrived in Naniwa, and I greatly appreciate his kindness in letting me stay with him for a long time. When I finally decided to get back on the road, I wrote:

I even regret departing --
wearing traveling clothes
under Naniwa's plum blossoms

立つも惜し梅の難波の旅衣

I returned to Kyoto. and became friendly with the haikai poet Wazen, and one day we went to a plum-blossom filled valley at Fushimi, and looking at the blossoms I wrote:

too bad the scent
is blowing in the other direction --
wild plum blossoms

吹方へ薫りおしまぬ野梅かな

thatched roof
where I shall I go to seek for them --
plum blossoms

-- The Nun Wasen

藁葺のどちらへ乞はむ梅の花 倭泉

I left Kyoto, and on the road I took resuming my journey, I gazed at the capital's opulent spring scenery, and following the Omi Road from Sanetsu in Shiga I caught sight of the spring colors of the lake and it had many attractions.

In the lake 
I saw consequences --
a blizzard of blossoms

湖に果は見えけり花雪吹

Around the end of the Second Month, I arrived at Mino Province, and wrote this when I went to visit haikai master Sankyô:

blooming flowers
now in reach --
I'm simply happy

咲花に今届く手ただ嬉し

the gorgeous sincerity
of the longing that brought you here 

- Sankyô

したい来たとの誠うららか 

傘狂

I stayed for a number of days with the master, and composed one 2-person linked verse sequence.