Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bike Ride Across Georgia 2012

This weekend I start an epic adventure, the 33rd annual Bike Ride Across Georgia. I -- and about 1,200 other people -- will travel about 350 miles (560 km) during the course of a week. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm pretty intimidated; on the other hand, I'm looking forward to what I hope will be a beautiful ride. We average about 55 miles a day, eat cafeteria-style from a mobile catering service, shower in a truck, and sleep en-masse in school gymnasiums. I'm also bringing plenty of reading to catch up on; however, considering how totally unathletic I am, maybe I should just be content to live through it.


Route map, BRAG 2012; click to embiggen

We start in Fort Oglethorpe; that's in northwest Georgia, almost in Tennessee.

Fort Oglethorpe to Dalton: 48 miles.

Dalton to Jasper: 55 miles.

Jasper to Roswell: 53 miles.

Rest option in Roswell for a day; I plan on taking it.

Roswell to Winder: 70 miles.

Winder to Mount Airy: 54 miles.

Mount Airy to Tiger: 40 miles.

The mileage is only part of the story. As my map suggests, north Georgia is a bit hilly. While the south and southeast are below the Fall Line, and are thus relatively flat, the extreme northwest includes a bit of the Appalachian geological province; just southeast of that is the Ridge and Valley province; then we get to the Piedmont province; finally, the route ends in the Blue Ridge province. All these areas have their own particular environments, plant and animal species, and geology. I'm looking forward to that very much. However, there's quite a bit of uphilliness for a total beginner like myself; and all of it will be equally hot, because it's Georgia.

Madonna del Ghisallo; click to embiggen
To get psyched, I've made myself a little talisman: the Madonna del Ghisallo.

The chapel of the Madonna del Ghisallo in Magreglio, Italy, commemorates an appearance of the Virgin Mary. She was believed to protect travelers, and in the 20th century was named the patron saint of cyclists. My painting is based on the stem medallion badge you can get at the chapel, itself derived from the painting of the Madonna there. "The Madonna will protect you."

May all of us on this crazy trip be safe and happy, and have reasonably good weather.