Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Some Genji waka, Part I

My student, Zhongyu Zhang, is working on some waka from the Tale of Genji for his paper in my class Tale of Genji: Sensuality and Salvation. I've never read these in the original before, and I don't know much about translating waka, so I'm going to work on them a little here.

From Autumn Excursion 紅葉賀

よそへつつ見るに心は慰まで露けさまさる撫子の花

though I see his likeness there
     it does not comfort my heart;
the dew of tears
     is  all the more drenching --
     wild carnation

袖ぬるる露のゆかりと思ふにも なほうとまれぬ大和撫子

thinking him
    the cause of the dew
that soaks your sleeves
    I feel all the colder towards him --
    Japanese carnation

(More follows, after the cut.........)>>

From The Sacred Tree 賢木

神垣はしるしの杉もなきものをいかにまがえて折れる榊ぞ

no cypresses
     mark this
shrine fence
     so why do you blunder here with it? --
     a spray of evergreen


をとめ子があたりと思へば榊葉の香をなつかしみとめてこそ折れ

I thought this
     the place of shrine maidens --
feeling nostalgic
     at the scent of sacred evergreen
     I broke a branch, seeking them


Wormwood Patch 蓬生

藤波のうち過ぎがたく見えつるはまつこそ宿のしるしなりけれ

it seemed
     difficult to just pass
the waves of wisteria
     because of the pines
     marking the house where you wait for me


年を経て待つしるしなき我が宿を花のたよりに過ぎぬばかりか

were there no pines at my house
      marking the years
I spent waiting for you
      would you just have passed by the flowers
      without a word?


Fireflies 蛍

今日さへや引く人もなき身隠れにおふる菖蒲の根のみ泣かれむ

even today
      with no one to pull up
the hidden roots
      of the irises --
      can I do more than cry?

あらはれていとど浅くも見ゆるかなあやめもわかずなかれけるねの

come to light
     they indeed seem shallow!
I do not separate
     the irises
     but hear your crying anyway


From Trefoil Knots 総角

しるべせし我やかへりて惑ふべき心もゆかぬ明け暮れの道

I who was a guide
     go home lost
my heart dissatisfied
     the road
     dim at dawn


かたゞゝにくらす心を思いやれ人やりならぬ道に惑はゞ

consider the feelings
     of we who must find
a way to live
     it is not the fault of someone else
     that you got lost on the road


Whew! Those were tough, but fun.

Zhongyu picked out some more, so I'll add those in my next post.